Monday, November 15, 2010

Look into her crystal ball...

My sister, the Fanciful Twist herself, has this uncanny ability to predict the future... of fashion. In the early 90's, her shoulder length earrings were ahead of their time. She predicted there would be a boom in the interest in Southwest style and that same year Kate Spade had an Arizona-themed advertising campaign. Before skulls hit the scene, she had already been wearing them for six months. When I decided to move to Albuquerque from Tucson, she said, "watch, everyone is going to start wearing those Santa Fe looking jackets".... sure as the sun comes up every morning, she was right. There are countless other occasions where she handed me an item of clothing or accessory and would say, this is going to be the latest craze... I would laugh and call her crazy, only to have Vogue or Marie Claire proving me wrong with trend alerts and style spreads.

This instance was no different. It was June of this year and I returned to Arizona. I took off through the hills and desert wilderness to get to my sister's house. When I arrived she began sharing her adventures and treasures with me. Then, she let out a shriek and said that I wouldn't believe what she had found... she ran off and returned with a genie-fortune-teller type turban on her head.... she thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread! Her opinion was that if we added jewels and feathers it would be "FABULOUS!" I was not so convinced. I laughed hysterically and thought, she had really lost her marbles.

First, I caught a glimpse of Rachel Zoe on her show in a turban. Second, I received the December issue of Marie Claire in the mail on Friday and finally had a chance to look through it Sunday night.... what did I find?? The jeweled and feathered turban that my sister had thought would be "FABULOUS!" Apparently, they were all over Jean Paul Gaultier's show and they are the latest way to look Burlesque...


Needless to say, my sister can predict the future... and now she can look fabulous in a matching fortune-teller style headdress.

3 comments:

a fanciful twist said...

Omyyyyyy, so funny! You are hilhairyous!

That always irked me, to like something and then it become you know, the thing you could find everywhere.... but now it's so funny isn't it?

I even tried to get my Dad (your dad too) to wear a turban, and he threw it at me... hahahhahaaaa!

Same turban. I told you it would be fab with a jewel, hahahhahaha!!

Even I am shocked at the turban craze. OHMY so funny ;)

I had no idea, eeeeeeeeeee!!!

Love, sis

ps: I don't recall the sante fe jacket prediciton, haha! But, remember when I wore sky high platforms in 1994 and everyone made fun of me >:) Only the drag queens embraced my style :)

Or when I did the dark smokey eye look in 1992 (when everyone was into grunge) and the girls made a scene at the discotheque and told me I should wash that off because it looked ridiculous. Ahem :) Or when I asked the trendy salon in SD to do the french manicure on my toes in 1990 and they were apalled.....

And what about toeless pantyhose? I cut the toes off of all of mine when I was 13 :)

I bet a lot of people think up things, and then are floored when they find them become popular... We should all patent our ideas ;) But we won't....

Love YA!

Simply Stated ~ Rebecca said...

How fun!!! Thank you for making me smile ;-)

Chickenbells said...

How lovely! I try to make a few fashion predictions each season and every once in a while I am spot on...but usually it's just little lovelies that I spot that I adore. I'm sure you're right and V will be able to predict the future even better with her fancy fantastic turban!!