Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Halloween Soirée, Part II

As the second part to my time at my sister's Halloween party, I have come to share a tale with you.

This is a legend shared throughout Mexico and the Southwest United States. Anywhere you may encounter a person of Mexican descent, they will tell you that they know this story. This is the story of La Llorona (pronounced Yoh-RROH-nah)), in English, she is called the Wailing Woman or Weeping Woman.

Young children are told to come home before night fall and to stay away from open bodies of water, because La Llorona will get them. Wandering husbands are threatened with stories that La Llorona will come and steal their children if they cheat on their wives. Women who dote on their husbands too much and ignore their children are often told of La Llorona.

Long ago a young beautiful Mexican woman, Maria, believed she was the better than everyone else because of her beauty. She refused to even look at any of the men in her village. One day a very handsome Spanish man in very regal looking clothing rode into the village on a large beautiful horse. She decided that he would be the man for her. She acted as though she was not interested, and turned away any time the handsome man would look at her or try to speak to her. He even went to her home to serenade her and she ignored his advances. Maria married the handsome man and they had two children. One day he took too long to come home, and Maria waited, and waited. His trips out to the fields and prairies started to take longer and longer. Rumors arose that he had decided to marry a woman of his same class and leave Maria to fen for herself. The handsome man began to ignore Maria and would only pay attention to the children. One day, Maria saw him with another woman, and her children ran to him. He ignored Maria completely, and her rage led her to drag the children to the nearby river where she drowned them. As she watched their bodies float down the river, she realized what she had done and ran after them, but the river moved quickly and she fell to the ground, dead from the grief of what she had just done.

People in the village said they heard crying by the river since that night she was buried. Those who would stay out late, would often see her in the white robe she was buried in. She often catches some children who are never seen or heard from again. She manifests as a beautiful woman to men with wandering eyes, and if they follow her, they too disappear.

So, be careful, don't stay out too late, especially if there is water nearby, because La Llorona will get you...

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh that story spooked me right out! I live in Canada so I have never gotten to hear that story so I am really glad you shared it! I will pass it on :) I love a good ghost story!

Lenora said...

yikes! Yes I remember that tale, having several Mexican friends! I love the whole Day of the Dead celebration too and we have borrowed a little of it for our Halloween Party - come and visit! ANd thanks for your wonderful rendition!

http://lenorita-lenoramoore.blogspot.com/2011/10/graveyard-2011.html

rachelsmith133 said...

Crikey, that is a spooky story.

bertie said...

EEK! You got me on that one! I loved the creepy pictures and I found my imagination running wild with your story...can think of a couple of men who could stand to meet her..heehee! Thanks for sharing and stopping by my party and leaving your kind comment..check out my blog at the end of the month for the Witches Tea Party and you shall see my black tree all decorated, too! Brightest Blessings for a magical Halloween! bertie
www.awildberrywitch.blogspot.com

Denise said...

Ooooooo......Creep'in and a crawling....EEEKKKSSS

Micupoftea~ said...

I've heard something like this but not all the details...so sad! Hope you can come by for tea and treats~

http://poetryinapotoftea.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-haunting-halloween-tea.html#comments

Happy Halloween

Joyce van der Lely said...

Thanks for the invite....spooky post you have....oh, you wanna come visit my swamp....more waterlogged creepies could be lurking there when you look carefully I am sure......hehehehe
http://jetdtsetters.blogspot.com/

Renee said...

A very spooky tale. Very good. Very nice pictures too.

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

OH MY GOOOOOOOOODNESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! You are la llorona, I KNEW IT ;) haha!

You loooook smashingly horrifying!

I love the shot at the rivre with the stones, that was so beautiful!!

Looove yOu sister!! ♥ Vanessa {A Fanciful Twist}

Bohemian said...

Yes, this Story is Legendary and quite creepy... Wailing alone is creepy enough, I don't think there's a scarier sound! *Winks*

Thanks for stopping by my Halloween 2011 Party Post, your Sister is such a great Party Hostess and her Blog Parties are always such fun and so Enchanting.

And now I have been able to discover your Beautiful Blog and become your newest Supporter!

Have an Enchanting Halloween... Blessings from the Arizona Desert outside Phoenix... Dawn... The Bohemian

Jo said...

Delightfully creepy! Sincerest apologies for my delay in thanking you kindly for dropping by my Halloween party post! The skeletons have had dreadful tummy aches and that darn broom took off on its own again :o)