Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Halloween Soirée

I received an invitation to my sister's halloween party.

I was happy to prepare for a marvelous day of tricks and treats especially concocted for today's festivities... so, please, sit for a moment with me at my desk, as I reflect on the witches and wizards of our past.



Not so long ago, my grandmother Josephine compiled photos of those in our family who had the "gift" of clairvoyance and the ability to make everything they thought or wanted manifest as reality. She calls this album, Nosotros, which is Spanish for we or us. And now... I share it with you...


This story begins with young Daniel, he never understood his powers and quite often tormented children on the playground. He would bring wind from his fingertips that could knock people over and his stare could paralyze you with a chill as cold as the arctic. He was evil, until the day he met Dolores... the next photo over is them when they are older. She never understood why she married him, but as much as she tried, she could never leave him... she would reach the edge of the front porch and couldn't seem to move them to take a step down, she would just stand there, frozen. Every time she would turn around to walk back into the house, there was Daniel, waiting for her.

Dolores and Daniel had one child, a son, Joseph, who married a woman very much like him. Together, Joseph and Emilia could predict the future and see things happen before they would. Emilia knew she would never have daughters, so she had to rely on her sons to bring her granddaughters.

Emilia had three sisters, Josephine, Bertha, and Alicia, and they realized that Emilia's husband had similar powers and abilities as they did. In Emilia's family only the women had the power to cast spells and see the future, while in Joseph's, it was only the men.

The three sisters decided that only the women would be the ones to earn the powers and they developed a spell to eliminate the powers that their children and grandchildren would have received. Two generations passed and the women were the ones who obtained the gifts from their ancestors while the men did not...

That is, until the great-grandaughter of Emilia, Carolina, met a dashing young man, Sebastian. She always said there was something special about him... she never could explain what it was, except that it sometimes chilled her to the bone.

That, my friends, is just a little bit about some of the women and men in my past. Every Halloween, I know they are around, I can feel the chill on the back of my neck, but anytime I try to turn around, I am paralyzed by a chill and when I can finally move, I look around and see no one there.

I have more stories for you... please visit me later... when the sun starts to go down...

Note: Nosotros album is the artwork and original idea created by Brandon Maldonado. Learn more about him and his art at www.brandonmaldonado.com.

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey there! What an awesome idea! A family album of spooky folks hee hee. I love it! The decorations are fabulous!

Grayce said...

Simply wonderful! I love the artwork added to the old pictures! and your desk is so inviting, thanks for sharing!! If you are not to busy, please jump on your broomstick and come visit me.
Grayce
http://graycefuldawn.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-party-time.html

Jo said...

I adore your desk, all of the lovely pumpkins on it and your creativity! Happy Halloween to you & yours! Hope you'll drop by, http://digginaround.blogspot.com/2011/10/time-is-upon-us-once-again.html

Elle said...

wonderful post! i had so much fun! thank you for sharing this with me!

hugs!!!

elle

Peach said...

Hi there!! I love your desk and decorations!! And I especially love your Dia de los Muertos things!!

I took a look around your blog and just adore it!

I have been really wanting to get into embroidery and seeing your Embroidered Pillowcases you made for your brother I am really inspired! Any tips for a newbie like me?


Thanks for sharing!

Take care and have a lovely Halloween!

Kim

a fanciful twist said...

Sister!! I LOVE your rings and sparkles and nails!! Your halloween decor is beyond fab. I love all the details on your scrumptious desk. Where did you get those incredible punkins????

The CD art is awesome! Thank you so much for joining in the party fun!!! Love ya, sis

Alisa Noble said...

Love, love, love this party post!

Happy Halloween

bertie said...

Very cool pictures and album! Really enjoyed your post..thanks for sharing and enjoy the party! bertie
www.awildberrywitch.blogspot.com

Cameron said...

A chilling tale! I love your desk all dressed for Halloween, too!

rachelsmith133 said...

Oooo what a spooky family. :-)

Oh and I love your spider ring!

http://phoenixra.blogspot.com/2011/10/wonderings-on-halloween-party.html

cb said...

wow these are sooo awesome! i love vintage pictures and they look incredible as day of the dead!
xo,
cb

Isabelle Thornton said...

La Llrona story was creepy! Love your Halloween party! Very cool!
I am following your cool blog. Do the same please and come see my party!
Happy Halloween!
Isabelle

http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-carving-party.html

LYNDY WARD said...

SPOOKTACULAR HALLOWEEN FUN!
Enchanting Decor.
Please fly by my party when you can...
Hauntingly Yours, Lyndy >^..^<

Princess Diana's Wedding Ring Giveaway & Halloween Party:
http://todaysgold.blogspot.com/

Wendy said...

What a Hauntingly Spooky Family Tale. I LoOOOOVed it. I can feel the chill in the air and the hair on my arms are standing.
Please come by and visit for A Mad Halloween Tea party and A Cup or two of Tea...We Would love to have you
Spells and Wishes
Wendy from Wonderland
http://candydelane.typepad.com/curiosities

Mad Madam Mel said...

oooh fab photos and stories :)
Sorry it is taking me so long to get round all the parties,
why not hop over for a spooky tale at my place :
http://madame-mels.blogspot.com/2011/10/tale-of-curiosity.html
the more the merrier :)

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

I love your decorations and all your art! Thank you for having me to your party, it was lovely and a little creepy!