Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Feliz Día de los Muertos

I am happy to celebrate Día de los Muertos today. I send embraces to those of you celebrating the lives of those who have crossed into the spirit world.

For those of you who know me well, you know I wear my skull rings on a daily basis. I do this because I believe in the beauty of death. Many people always stop me and say, "Kristen, why the skulls?," and my honest response is that death is just as important as birth.

People have come to know me as the girl with the skull rings... My picture was in the newspaper, not of my face, but of my rings. I would almost prefer people consider the fact that I wear these skull rings on a daily basis because of the beauty of life and death, than remember my name.

I wear skull jewelry quite often, so for me, today is unlike any other day. I honor those people who I have lost in the world of the living, and look forward to encountering them again once I cross into the spirit world. I understand that el Día de los Muertos has become popular in the U.S., but I am hoping it doesn't lose it's real meaning and importance. It isn't just about skulls and flowers... it's about honoring our ancestors and elders who have crossed into the spirit world by making their favorite food and drink, and sprinkling the cempazuchitl or zenpasuchitl (marigolds), from the grave to our homes in order for the spirits of loved ones to find their way back home.

Te deseo un feliz día de los muertos y mando un abrazo fuerte a todos.

4 comments:

cb said...

holy crap those rings are AMAZING!!!!!!!!! where oh where did you get those?!?! and i love the bracelet too! i would wear those all the time too!

feliz dia de los muertos tambien!
xo,
cb

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

Those rings are crazy awesome. I agree, where did you get them, I want some! I never really knew much about or participated in Dia de los Muertos (I am from Oregon), but after moving to Tucson last year I learned much more about it. I think it is a lovely tradition and definitely like it because of the meaning, not just because of the skulls (although I do love skulls too!) Anyway I fully appreciate it and am excited to get to go to the parade here for the first time this weekend!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

The parade in Tucson is fantastic! I am so excited for you to be able to go!

Bohemian said...

Beautiful Post. Your rings are lovely. I just purchased the most amazing Dia de los Muertos Skull from a local Yaqui Artist, Ben Molina, the Creative Native. His Art Work is FABULOUS!!! I'm so happy to finally own a piece and add it to my Dia de los Muertos Collection of objects so that next year it can Grace our Altar. I'm doing a Post on it tomorrow.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian