Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Vegan Option

I never thought that I would be giving up eating some of the things I used to, but I credit my friend, Nick, for teaching me just how good vegan food can be. The stress of being a grad student doesn't translate to healthy eating... at least not for me. Nick offered me a vegan pick me up/comfort food in the form of chickpea patties with mashed potatoes and a corn gravy. The meal was so delicious and I felt good after I ate it. Because I liked that meal so much, Nick asked me to join him for lunch a few days later, at a vegan place near campus, Mint Tulip.

The place was absolutely charming. I ordered mint limeade and I couldn't get enough! Nick ordered some carrot juice that I didn't think I would like, but it was delicious, too!

I ordered a buffalo wrap and Nick ordered a burger. I wasn't too familiar with Gardein, but Nick said that's what was in my wrap. It was delicious and with the way the ladies at Mint Tulip fixed it up... it was packed with flavor.

Nick's burger had a beet patty... it was such a lovely color of pink/magenta.

Clearly, I enjoyed my meal...

When I got home, I decided to try making mint limeade...

I made a mint infused syrup, but instead of sugar, I used agave nectar.

I thought it was the perfect blend of sweet and tart.

I may not be a complete vegan, but I definitely took some things out of my diet that were bringing me down... no more dairy and I still eat chicken. I guess that makes me more of a flexitarian than anything. We'll see how this whole vegan thing develops for me.

Until next time!

1 comment:

cb said...

i don't think i could go total vegan either but i am very into eating healthy and i do really love eating vegan! people think that vegan or vegie food isn't good but some of my favorite meals we make at home contain no meat at all. also i find that vegan treats are really yummy too and i don't feel so bad because there really isn't anything bad in them!
xo,
cb