Friday, March 9, 2012

WIPs and Things

It's taken me a while to organize myself and finish up projects I started before the holidays. I put everything on hold when I started making Christmas gifts for my friends and family. I am catching up now, though, what with academic tasks to complete while I am not sewing or embroidering. I have one more quilt to make before my sewing/crafting "to do" list is complete.

I took the embroidery sample I bought from Charlotte Lyons and turned it into a small pillow. Please forgive the lighting... it's been overcast here all day and I can't seem to get good lighting for these photos.

I took some scrap fabric and made the patchwork frame. Then just used some larger scrap pieces for the back.

I finished a baby quilt for a colleague of mine. We used to share an office on campus. She just had a beautiful baby boy.

With Spring on its way, I think this will be a nice quilt to use as a play mat or for laying the baby on.

Next on my list... A picnic quilt. I found this fabric at a home decorator fabric store in Tucson that was going out of business. There was enough for a picnic quilt and a tablecloth.

I must confess that I did sneak in a small project even though I said I wouldn't. I broke my own rules, but sometimes, breaking the rules yields something wonderful. In this case, I decided to participate in Feeling Stitchy's March Stitchalong. They are celebrating their birthday in March... and so will I... *wink*wink* A piñata is perfect for celebrating a birthday. I haven't had a piñata in quite some time, but this one is going to go on a birthday banner.

I took a stab at stitching with paper. I didn't have tracing paper or parchment paper... so I used wax paper. I transferred the image onto the wax paper and basted it to a sheet of felt. (Bear with me here... I stitched two piñatas. I know they are going in different directions, but I kept forgetting to take pictures, so I would take them as it occurred to me, but the transferring is still the same).

I stitched through the paper. The stitches act as a perforation for the paper, and then it's easy to pull away from the fabric.

Once that's finished, I gently pulled of the paper, tweezers helped here.

Then it's done!

That's the update for now... must get back to stitching.

Until next time.

xo,
K

2 comments:

cb said...

you are jamming throw these projects i am so jealous! i have so much i want and need to get done. that pillow is so freaking cute! you did such a fantastic job! and the baby quilt is really cute! i love that it isn't typical baby colors...i made one for my niece a long long time ago and i made sure not to use baby colors.
xo,
cb

Jennifer said...

That is such a sweet gift for a baby boy! That pillow is fantastic as well, I want it tee hee. Goodness you've gone mad stitching haven't you ;) I enjoy the eye candy, so I'm glad you have been so busy! The wax paper is a really great idea. I'd never thought of that, how to get such precise designs.