Friday, May 25, 2012

Vintage Stitches.1

When I was younger, my mother would take me to my grandmother's house when school let out for the day. Our visits consisted of an afternoon snack and a sewing lesson. We started with Barbie clothes, then moved on to larger projects like tote bags and dresses. By the time I reached high school, I was making many of my own clothes, which I still do.

My grandmother, mother, and I still sew... and knit, crochet, and embroider. I thought they had shared everything with me on the sewing front, but my mom recently gave me a pattern she had used in the early 1970's... and the apron she made with it!
As I was looking at the pattern, I realized it said it was a design courtesy of Betsey Johnson of Alley Cat. I have always been a huge fan of Betsey Johnson's clothing, shoes, and accessories. So, to see that my mom had been a fan of her early designs made me smile.


There is a page of the instructions that is missing. In particular, the page with the instructions for making the hat, which I really REALLY want to make. Other than that, all the embroidery transfer pages are still in the package, along with all pattern pieces.

Here are my mom's stitches. She made the apron without the top part, so it just ties at the waist without the sleeves.


I definitely want to try stitching this pattern onto something. Maybe a tote bag is in order. I am going to try making that hat without the instructions, though, and see if it turns out.

Hope you enjoy!

Until next time!

xo,
K



2 comments:

cb said...

Oh my! This might be my favorite! I LOVE vintage embriodery so much! YayayaY,
Xo,Cb

I owe you an email, sorry this week has been a little crazy!

Jennifer said...

I wish I could make my own clothes. That's so amazing. I tried to make a dress one time. It didn't end well haha.

Did you know Betsey Johnson is going out of business now? I loved her stuff too. I remember having a couple of her bags in freshman year of high school.

I absolutely love the embroidery on the apron. I think it would look gorgeous on a tote bag. Good luck with the hat! I am sure you will pull it off magnificently.