Sunday, July 29, 2012

Road Trip.1

I just made it back home from a short road trip from southern to northern Arizona. We took off on Wednesday in a short caravan that included my immediate and extended family. We hadn't been to the Grand Canyon in quite a while, and since I am living in Arizona again, I thought it was a good time to say hello to some of my favorite places and, of course, make some memories.

I am from low desert, which is more arid and a lot warmer than the higher desert areas in the northern part of the state. As we traveled the few hours north, the landscape changed significantly, which is absolutely fascinating to me. 



I was a passenger for the majority of this trip. I drove us out to the Grand Canyon on Thursday, but my father and brother took the wheel the majority of the time, which allowed me to take plenty of photos.


We stayed in Flagstaff for 4 days and took drives out to surrounding areas in order to experience the Grand Canyon and take in the sights. 



I was the most excited for the Grand Canyon, perhaps that is why I chose to drive. It is about an hour and 20 minutes away from Flagstaff. 


There is thick forest the majority of the way there. I know that because I am from a low desert region any trees at all look like a forest, but this is a REAL forest with ponderosa pines. As you make it through this forest, you can see that gorgeous wonder peaking through the trees as you approach the edge of the Grand Canyon.


We visited the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon and toured that edge. 







You can see a small portion of the Colorado River running through the canyon in the photo below. It is that upside down triangle shape right at the center. 





A storm started to roll in as we made our way west. The thunder would echo through the canyon and it was just marvelous. I hadn't felt so overwhelmed with excitement and wonder in such a long time. 

I have plenty more photos to share, but these shall suffice for now. 

Until next time.

xo,
K

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! I have never wanted to visit Arizona because of the heat, but you have made me want to see it! It is going on my list of places to visit!
love & blessings
~*~

cb said...

WOW,amazing, really amazing! I am soooo jealous of your trip! I have always wanted to go to the grand canyon, at least i can live through you for now. So glad you had a great trip!
Xo,cb

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Amazing! When I went I wanted to jump in, it's just so awesome and incredibly stunning! Great pictures!

Gerushia's New World said...

JEALOUS!! I am jealous, I tell you! I have been all through Arizona taking different routes between California to Arkansas and back. When I was a little girl, we would take our yearly vacation to the Ozarks, but my dad was always in such a hurry to get there, he would never stop to see anything. My mom used to almost beg him to "please, let's stop at the Grand Canyon"! But...every year, we plowed on through from CA to AR in record speed.

I love Arizona and New Mexico so much. Especially at sunset.

Your photos are gorgeous. Truly the next best thing to visiting the lovely Grand Canyon myself. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!

Now...I am off to dreamland with thoughts of my favorite roadside stop, Chief Yellowhorse, weaving through my dreams.

xoxo
Kim
Gerushia's New World