Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dia de los Muertos Tote


It seems I was tardy to the Halloween sale at Michaels last week. I had in mind to buy a skeleton to fit inside of a large pumpkin and another skeleton to turn into a mermaid. When I arrived at the store, there was hardly anything left in the Halloween section. No matter how many times I walked around the store, I just couldn't manifest one out of thin air. So, I had to give up.


I was about to leave the store, when I found a flocked Dia de los Muertos patch of La Catrina. Apparently, the Crafty Chica designed these wonderful Dia de los Muertos items that Michaels carries. I couldn't resist the flocked patch and brought it home.



I have a stash of Halloween and Dia de los Muertos fabric and new that this patch would look great against some of these fabrics.  


It was a quick iron-on process. I had half a yard of fabric that I was able to turn into a quick patchwork with la Catrina centered. I was debating what to turn this into. Which is a problem I seem to have with lots of my WIPs. Considering I have quite a bit of fabric to work with, I decided to make a tote bag. Yes, I have a large collection of tote bags.


I used this lighter Dia de los Muertos fabric to line the bag and used the other piece of colorful fabric for the back side of the tote. 


I used some lightweight interfacing in order to give the bag some sturdiness. I have already overstuffed it with library books and embroidery projects and it held up nicely. 

I love how my new tote turned out, but I still would like to find two skeletons for my Halloween projects. If you happen upon any, send them my way, please!

Until next time.

xo,
K



8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yup. I'm waiting waiting waiting for the day you make an etsy. I love your totes so much! ESPECIALLY this one because of Dia de los Muertos! And the large La Catrina patch! I've been obsessed with the idea of her since i saw this makeup tutorial on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xODE1wBRcJo
If only I had the patience to put all that white makeup on and then wash it off... one day!

cb said...

Haha, i totally agree with jennifer! i love this bag and la catirina is my favorite! Se is so classic. We use her on the signs at the tattoo shop and she is being tattooed :) i just used my first iron on the other day so nice and fast, i love simple stuff like that!
Xo,cb

8)(8 said...

I love that light colored Dia de los Muertos fabric!

Bohemian said...

I Love your Dia de los Muertos colorful Tote! In fact, the background fabric is a design that I have bought yardage of because I Loved the Graphics so much!

Happy Halloween from the Arizona Desert near Phoenix... Dawn... The Bohemian

Laura Tieri said...

Don't you know you have to buy Halloween stuff in July nowadays. It's Oct., gotta get all that Christmas stuff on the shelves! :)
I love your tote! Cool fabric!
Happy Halloween from the Chicago area!

Laura Tieri said...

Don't you know you have to buy Halloween stuff in July nowadays. It's Oct., gotta get all that Christmas stuff on the shelves! :)
I love your tote! Cool fabric!
Happy Halloween from the Chicago area!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

Thanks for stopping by Laura. I keep a back stock of a lot of fabric and find it so challenging to be able to part with some of them.

Hope you have a happy halloween!

Tracy M. said...

Oh that tote is so cute! Love the fabrics you used.
Tracy M.