Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween from Disneyland


That's right. I went to Disneyland for Halloween. My friend, Nick, convinced me to venture to Fullerton and stay with him so we could go to Disneyland for Halloween. He lives very close to Disneyland, so how could I pass up an offer for a free place to stay and a visit to the happiest place on earth? I couldn't, so I packed my bags and took off!



Halloween is my most favorite time of year, and because I believe that love and joy are in the details, I knew Disneyland would do it up right. Every single little detail in the park was perfect and Halloween-related. I live for those sorts of things. It made me so excited to be around all that Halloween festivity.


My younger brother, Adam, lives in Los Angeles, so he joined Nick and I on a 16-hour excursion with the Mouse. Our day started with Mickey Mouse pancakes. We proceeded to get drenched on Splash Mountain and then we got to take a ride on one of my most favorite rides in the park... The Haunted Mansion. It was decorated with Tim Burton's, The Nightmare Before Christmas


I absolutely adore Tim Burton. I wish I could live in his mind for a day, maybe two. I love his imagination and creativity. That, combined with the Disney magic, made for a fantastic Haunted Mansion experience. 



I adore this chandelier in the foyer of the Mansion. I put my camera away so I could live in the moment and enjoy the ride with my two best guys. 


At some point during our journey in the Disneyland and California Adventure parks, we stopped off to check out the exhibit of Tim Burton's new film, Frankenweenie.


Everyone that knows me, understands that I love my dog and would totally turn him into a Frankenstein just to keep him with me for always (not really, but I shutter at the thought that one day I will have to live without him, so I might). So, I instantly fell in love with the idea of Frankenweenie... that, and my love of all things Tim Burton, were instant reasons to love the film.


The exhibit was amazing. There were all these sketches and models of the actual characters they used to create the film. Which, incidentally, was done in stop-motion so all the characters actually have moving parts and joints to make it appear that they are having visible reactions on their faces and in their movements. 


I learned how to sew as a kid, when my grandmother showed me how to make clothes for dolls and barbies. I don't know if it is nostalgia, but I have a very special place in my heart for doll clothing. Which is why I shrieked, like literally let out a loud sound, when I turned the corner and saw Weird Girl's (that is her actual name in the film) little shoes and costumes. My brother and Nick were over my desire to photograph everything, so I took some very quickly so as not to receive that ever so classic eye roll that boys like to give girls.


Everything was miniature. I wanted to touch everything. Good thing they had those glass cases because I would have tried to take everything with me. 


There were miniature sets of scenes of the film in each case. It seemed like each case was more amazing than the last. Each one of these characters would have fit in my hand, easily. I got so close for the photo that it looks like I could have been standing there in that classroom!


As with everything in Disneyland and California Adventure, the details here were not spared either. Each book has its name and title, every poster has legible information, bottles have their labels, and even the homework on the childrens' desks had notes from the teacher!! I was in awe the whole time I ventured through this exhibit. 


It was so much fun spending Halloween with the Mouse. I can't believe I braved the crowds, but I am so very glad I did. 

I have some other adventures to share with you while I spent some time in the City of Angels, but I will share them later. For now, I wish you a very Spooky and Happy Halloween!

Until next time.

xo,
K







5 comments:

Gerushia's New World said...

Hey....you're in my neck of the woods!!

Don't you just love Disneyland during Halloween? It is fabulous...every detail and all the landscaping, I just love it.

We didn't go this year because we let our passes run out. It was getting so expensive and the park is always crowded, even on a rainy Wednesday in February....the park is crowded. :-( But, I still love Disneyland and hope that, some day, we will get our passes renewed.

I haven't seen the Tim Burton exhibit. It looks amazing! I'm so glad you got to see it and share the photos with us.

Happy Halloween!

xoxo
Kim
Gerushia's New World

cb said...

How fun! Yes, i am sure disney would do it right. I love splash mountain, i feel like it was closed last time we went, otherwise we would gone. I love tim burton too, the nightmare before christmas is one of his greatest movies! I would have touched everything at the exhibit too, imlove tiny little things! Every thing is so much cuter too! Glad you got to go, very jealous!
Xo,cb

8)(8 said...

That's the best time of year to go to Disneyland! I actually prefer the Haunted House in Tim Burton mode.

And that's so neat they had exhibit of his new movie. My daughter loved it, but she loves all Tim Burton's movies.

Thank you, for the compliment on my DIY bathroom.

Jennifer said...

Disneyland looks amazing at Halloween! I am so jealous!

Auntie Bliss said...

My online buddy Sue Kruse writes for Miceage a disney magazine. She has Instagrammed these things you are showing and I'm totally smitten!
I agree to the Tim Burton's brain thing...he is a genius!!
I LOVE Jack Skellington and I'm fifty years old!! Is that crazy?? :)