Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Library Love

I have this very special and undying love for libraries. I can't think of a time that I didn't have a library card. The first thing I did when I moved to Albuquerque was get a library card from the public library and one of the first things I did when I moved back to Tucson was make sure my library card was still valid. 

On my recent trip to Los Angeles, I was treated to a visit to the Los Angeles Central Library in downtown L.A. I loved the hustle and bustle of people shuffling through the stacks with their items for borrow.
Image Borrowed from Vermont Square
I worked in the main campus library at the University of New Mexico (UNM) as part of a fellowship I received for two years. I loved working alongside all the books. I love the organization of libraries and the sort of silent work that is accomplished by studying, researching, and writing. I appreciate so much when libraries showcase their collections and archives, which was the highlight of this trip to the L.A. Central Library.

I made my way through the library to the Getty Gallery on the second floor with my darling friend, Nick. He laughed at how giddy I was to be at the library. We wandered into the gallery where we were able to check out these items all about the Mexican Revolution in an exhibit entitled, A Nation Emerges: The Mexican Revolution Revealed.


The Central Library, in partnership with the Getty Research Institute, had various images from the Mexican Revolution on display for us to see. I only took a couple pictures so as not to disturb the exhibit or the items on display. 


I curated an exhibit at the UNM library with a similar theme last year, which I blogged about here. I felt so excited to see some of the same images that were in the UNM library could also be found at the Getty Research Institute. 



As we made our way through the exhibit, I felt more and more excited to have spent some time in the library. Before we left, I noticed there was a shop on the ground floor. I almost lost my mind with some of the amazing items they had. Many libraries have done away with their card catalogs and artists and designers have taken to creating jewelry and art pieces with card catalog pieces.


I only bought a few things. I am going to hang that greeting card as a little piece of art in my office, because I have, in fact, left my heart in the library. That tiny bottle has a necklace in it with the birthstone for November that I picked up as a birthday gift for one of my friends. Everything else came home with me, although there was plenty more that I wanted. 

All in all it was a great time in the library and I can't wait to get back to the library and snuggle up to a good book.

Until next time.

xo,
K


3 comments:

cb said...

you are the cutest! this is one of the reasons why i love you so much! i love the library too. i don't go as often as i want but i do love it. i always went when a child and still love the one i grew up near. it is a super cool little building in sebastopol. the smell of them and the quietness of them. such a great place. i am so glad you were able to visit the one in la. i think all of them should have cool little shops that have repurposed jewelry and knick knacks. what a great idea! i think they should all jump on board!!
xo,
cb

Gerushia's New World said...

Well....I've lived in Southern California most of my life, and I hate to admit it, but I've never been to the main L.A. library. I'm so glad you shared your library trip because now, I want to go too! It looks amazing.

xoxo
Kim
Gerushia's New World

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness that library is amazing! I must be honest, where I live libraries aren't that special... I wish I lived somewhere that they were spectacular but for now I think I prefer the used bookstore. And my own shelves. I must say the most gorgeous library I've ever been to is the one at Trinity College in Dublin. Filled to the brim with ancient books and houses the Book of Kells! I also always wanted my university library to look like the one at Hogwarts. One can dream :)