Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tutorial: St. Patrick's Day Banner

 


It shouldn't be a secret that I love banners. Bunting, banners, flags... I love them all. I am really getting into St. Patrick's Day this year, it's not something I usually get into. I think it has to do with the green. I love emerald green, like the kind of green in Oz (as in the Wizard of Oz). Because I am in love with emerald green and can't get enough of it I knew I needed to really take advantage of decorating with it, so banners had to be it!

The idea for this banner came to me as I was cutting some shamrocks from my sister's awesome St. Patrick's Day freebie/tutorial. Now I want to share it with all of you. It took me less than 2 hours and looks super cute hanging from the mantel in my living room. 


Supplies needed:
-Newspaper
-green construction paper
-twine or string
-glue
-glitter
-hot glue gun 

Begin by printing out the shamrock template, cut out the largest size, and trace it onto the green construction paper. Note: I found a pack of construction paper at the corner drug store for $3.


Cut the shamrocks. I traced and cut six shamrocks.


Crease the leaves of the shamrock by folding the petals in half and only folding the leaf portion. 


This stage is optional, I glittered three of the six shamrocks just to add a little sparkle to the banner. Feel free to glitter all six or leave them plain. 


Take six pieces of newspaper and cut into 5x7-inch pieces. 


Cut a triangle out of one end of the newspaper piece to create the flag or banner look. This cut should be on one of the 5-inch sides of the newspaper.


Fold the opposite side of the piece you just cut, about half an inch. 

Take a 60-inch piece of the twine or string, and place it right in the fold of your newspaper piece. Run a thin line of glue from the glue gun just beneath the twine or string and quickly hold the fold down. Be careful not to burn your fingers. Repeat this step for the six newspaper pieces.


When you finish, flip the banner over and it should look something like this.


Using the glue gun, put a small bead of glue on the back of a shamrock and place it on the center of the newspaper piece. Repeat for all the shamrocks. I used one plain shamrock and one glittered until I filled the banner.


Let the banner dry for a bit then hang it up and enjoy!



Hope you get to give this a try.

Until next time.

xo,
K

4 comments:

Gerushia's New World said...

I love this idea. I love banners and stuff. You could take this banner pattern and make cut-outs for birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's Day etc. I want to make one for Easter! Maybe rabbit head and eggs!

xoxo
Kim
Gerushia's New World

8)(8 said...

That's so pretty!

Nick Sánchez said...

This is super cute. Your place is always so festive!

Kim said...

Great idea! I love emerald green too, and of course glitter!