Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Action Packed

It seems time is blowing by, full steam ahead, and I am trying to keep up as best I can. Last week was one of the busiest I have had in a while. It started out with my birthday (March 31st), which was also Easter Sunday.

My mom made me the BEST CAKE EVER. I had told her, in passing, that I thought it would be fun to make my birthday themed this year: Under the Sea. I had seen this cake on a package in the cake decorating aisle at the craft store and thought it was fun, and funny. Well, my mom, being the talented and creative lady that she is, proceeded to make me this amazing cake.


She decorated our whole dining room with a mermaid/under the sea theme and I LOVED it. I couldn't believe she had gone all out. She used Laffy Taffy to make edible starfish, crabs, and octopus on the cake. It was fantastic!


I drive back and forth from Tucson to Nogales somewhat frequently. My dissertation research is all based in Nogales, and my parents still live there, but I live in Tucson. So, coming and going keeps things on a time crunch.

In the midst of my birthday, Easter, houseguests, and working on my dissertation, I decided to join in on an Art Mart event held at Hotel Congress in downtown Tucson on April 6th. I have to say, though, that my dear friend, Rudy, the amazing artist behind La Mosca Roja, encouraged me to get a booth, so, I credit him with this adventure, and I am glad I accepted the challenge.


The only photo I have of my booth was taken with my cell phone. I was so frazzled the day of the event, that I forgot to take my camera. My best friend, Fernanda, made amazing Mexican Wedding cookies, and I sewed up cosmetic bags, wallets, bunting, tote bags, and hand embroidered handkerchiefs. It took me two weeks to finish everything, but it was worth it. I met some great people and I was so happy to see that people liked what I made, which has me thinking that an etsy shop is not too far fetched of an idea... I sold my stuff under the name of Bobby Pin Stitches, might work as a shop title...

It's a new week, and I am trying to get back into my routine of writing and embroidery. I can't believe I had an action-packed week like last week, but it was wonderful.

Have you ever had a booth at an art or craft fair? How was it? I would love to hear all about it.

Until next time.

xo,
K

4 comments:

Laura Tieri said...

Wow! Your mom did an amazing job on that cake! I don't think I'd want to cut into it though. It's like a piece of artwork.
I've done craft shows before. I've worked retail before & like selling things. My favorite though is to sell things that I made. I was probably around 7 or 8 when I used to make jewelry out of telephone wire & then later beads, to sell. I've even put my crafts in a consignment shop. I sold a lot of fancy quilled ornaments that way. I want to start doing that again. My friend & I might do one this fall. It's called "Witch's Night Out" . Everybody, shoppers & sellers, dress like witches. It's actually a charity fundraiser. It was a lot of fun. You would have liked the really inexpensive, cool skull ring I bought there. It's a Dia de Los Muertos style with flowers in her hair. It was only $5 & now it's my favorite ring!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

Hi Laura!

I felt totally guilty cutting into that cake, but it was so gooooood! It was one layer of lemon and one of chocolate, and I think the bottom layer was vanilla. Lemon is my favorite though. My mom worked so hard on that cake, but it was gone in a matter of minutes. My whole family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) tore that cake up and there was hardly anything left the next morning when I was dead set on cake for breakfast.

What a talent to be designing jewelry at such a young age! I was so uncoordinated, and still kinda am, but how awesome that you could make things as a 7-year old. That Witch's Night Out event sounds fantastic! I would love something like that... and I would love your ring! I adore anything skull or dia de los muertos.

I am certain you will find a place to put your ornaments on consignment. It seems like quilled items are a highly desired art form.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am definitely going to try another show and hope to sell more and start a fun side business.

all my best,
Kristen

Kim said...

Happy belated birthday!! Your cake was gorgeous. Chocolate and lemon are my favorites too. I love the Etsy shop idea and the name you are thinking of is perfect!
Great job on the feeling stitchy tutorial, I am always in the wrong browser to comment on their site but I loved the tutorial!

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

I wish I had known about this. I live in Tucson, so I totally would have come down to check it out and see your lovely wares!