Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Stitches and Marinara

It seems that time has been getting away from me. I used to try to blog once or twice a week and lately I have been occupied with the elements of grad school - research, ethnographic work, reading, & writing.  In order to not go crazy by only focusing on my work, I embroider to relax, decompress, and enjoy my time off from school-related items.

I found these patterns from some amazing and inspiring women. The Hedgehog and Bunny are from Follow the White Bunny (the link to her shop is on the right-hand side bar of her blog). If you haven't checked out Nicole's patterns, you must! They are adorable!


I have a teeny tiny obsession with hedgehogs. Just a teeny one, though... :)


I am a huge fan of Nana Company. Her photos are just so lovely and calming. Everytime I read her blog, I just want to quilt and stitch the day away. She has this free pattern... Do small things with great love. I just adore it, and had to stitch it for myself. 


I found the owl pattern over at the Teeny Tiny Happy Things etsy shop. I think I bought all the patterns in the shop. They were all too cute to pass up. The bunny pattern is next in line to be stitched up. 


Aside from stitching, I needed a little comfort food. After the events of last week, in Boston and in Texas, my heart was just too heavy. I know someone who was severely injured at the Boston Marathon, and I couldn't really find a way to reconcile my feelings. Over the weekend, I happened upon a farmer's market of sorts; a church near my house was selling 60 pounds of produce for $10. I had to see what this sale was all about. I paid the $10 and received a crate of tomatoes, a crate of bell peppers, a box mixed with squash, cucumbers, & corn, a bag of green beans, and four containers of cherry tomatoes. I have no idea how I am going to make use of all this produce, but the crate of tomatoes was turned into Marinara Sauce today. This is definite comfort food for me.


Now all I have to do is wait for the marinara to simmer for a couple of hours.



Until next time!

xo,
K

6 comments:

Laura said...

I just love your stitchery! The quote is so beautiful and lovely. That is a whopping deal on that produce. You could blanch and freeze the squash and green beans. Stuffed peppers sounds good too...
blessings
~*~

8)(8 said...

Beautiful work and so charming!

Gerushia's New World said...

Well, I can't make up my mind if I love the owl or the hedgehog the most. These are probably my favorite pieces I've ever seen of yours! So cute and the stitches are so clean and precise. I just adore your stitching.

Wow, that is a lot of produce. If you can't use it all, can you donate it to a food bank?

xoxo
Kim
Gerushia's New World

Amy said...

Hello Kristen! I came to visit you from Feeling Stitchy... I love your stitchery work. So pretty and delicate!

Oh and your marinara sauce looks so good... yum!

Laura Tieri said...

They are all cute but I think I like the owl best!
Sorry about your friend in Boston. Are they doing o.k.? I think so many people are going to have a hard time healing mentally as well as physically. There were so many bad things to see. It was hard enough looking at the photos & videos. I can't imagine what it was like actually being there.

Auntie Bliss said...

That is alot of produce!!!