Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer Stitching

Summertime is in full swing here in Tucson. The weather has been over 100 degrees (37+celsius) and it's almost impossible to do anything outside. Walking from the car into the grocery store is like trekking through the Sahara in hopes of reaching an oasis. 

Ok, maybe it isn't that bad, but it is very hot! 

Because it is so hot, I have to find fun indoor things to do, and Wild Olive's Summer Stitching Club came just at the right time!


Every week during the months of June, July, and August, Mollie Johansen of Wild Olive is providing her Summer Stitching Club members with an embroidery pattern that will go on a small hexagon. Using EPP (English Paper Piecing) and her instructions, we'll be making about 5 hexies a week, then putting them all together to create a mini quilt at the end of the summer.


Last week was the first week, and we received this darling embroidery pattern of sunglasses. It's a nice way for me to decompress at the end of the day and take a break from dissertation writing to create something. I know I am going to love this when I finish in August AND I get to use up some of my favorite pieces of scrap fabric.


Do you have any big summertime plans?

Until next time!

xo,
K

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ah cute kitsch sunglasses! A mini-quilt, that will be so cute. I haven't got mighty summer plans, but our heat is much more bearable than yours!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is going to be super cute! It's not exaggeration on the heat. I hate burning myself when I get in the car.

erikajean.com said...

Love the little windows!

Evil Moogle said...

I'm also doing the Summer Stitching Club :) I love your choice of fabrics.