Monday, July 8, 2013

Stitching through Summer

Summertime has always been a slow time for me. School winds down, people escape to cooler temperatures leaving the city somewhat empty, and we prepare for monsoon season in Southern Arizona. This type of calm is something I really enjoy.


Now, I know that when people hear/read the word monsoon, they think of a major storm, something akin to a hurricane. For us in Tucson, the monsoon season might not be as rough as a hurricane, but we definitely experience some damage after the storms pass through here. Our rainstorms may last, at most, an hour or two, but so much water falls, and the wind blows things so out of control, that when we assess the damage, it's often outrageous.



A week ago, I took a trip to the laundromat to wash my large comforters that don't fit in the washing machine at home. I was out of the house for about 45 minutes. It began to sprinkle as I entered the laundromat, and while I was waiting for my things to wash, the rain poured down. I left when the rain stopped, but the parking lot was so flooded that I had to wade through ankle-deep water to get to the car. As I returned home, I saw trees that had fallen into the streets and were blocking traffic, AND 13 power lines fell down near my house. I was without power for 2.5 days in the Tucson heat and humidity.

There was only one thing to do to survive... stitch through it.


My laptop ran out of battery early on. My cell phone survived a day. Internet was not available, so none of my work could get done. There was odd silence in my neighborhood. I thought people would be crabby, but we all sort of accepted the reality and waited patiently for the diligent power company men to find a way to repair all the damage. 

I decided to dig up my folder of embroidery patterns and work on the ones I had been most excited to try out but hadn't had the time to get to - until now. This deer is from Doe-C-Doe and I had been saving it for quite some time. 



At some point, I had to escape to my parents house so my dog and I could sit in the coolness of an air conditioned home. Which gave me enough access to the internet to download the midsummer stitchalong pattern from Feeling Stitchy. I have to say, I quite enjoy Reginald, the flower pirate. 



It's been an odd week, readjusting to having electricity and that miraculous invention called an air conditioning unit. Here's hoping that this doesn't happen again during our monsoon season.

Until next time!

xo,
K

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine being without power in the heat we've all had recently, winter, I could probably survive, but summer? Oh, that'd be bad. I'm glad you came through it ok, and your stitching is lovely, lovely! I've seen the stitch-a-long on FS, that little flower pirate is great, I'm going to try like crazy to get to it, thanks for sharing, stay cool!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Those are beautiful.

I didn't hear about the Tucson area power loss.

During the heat, I'm always impressed with Arizonans survival techniques. Residents know how to deal with the heat when things go wrong.

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

We didn't lose power at our house, but I was caught in that first big storm last week while driving. It was so windy my car shook and it was raining so hard I couldn't see. Needless to say I pulled over until it passed!

PS. I heart Reginald!

Heidianna said...

Wow, that is some kind of rain storm! Scary.

Laura Tieri said...

I just love the stitched deer & little pirate!
That's a long time without power and very bad timing with the heat issue. Your sister said she had some damage at her house from the winds.
On a different note, how are your friends doing that were in Boston?

Jennifer said...

Oh no! Power loss in this heat, yowch! But I do love the stitching you've done!

S. said...

Lovely stitchery, you are very talented!
Sorry to hear about the loss of power for a couple of days; I hope it does not happen again.
Have a lovely weekend and I look forward to visiting your blog again to see what else you´ve worked on :)
Warm greetings from Mexico