Sunday, September 15, 2013

Making Halloween

This time of year always surprises me with the rush and bustle of a new school year. I get swept up into the whirlwind of teaching new classes, meeting new students, and working on my dissertation, that I miss out on what happens in the world of makers and shakers. I know quite a few people are getting ready for the holidays (Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas), but for me, this time of year is all about preparing for Halloween!

I love... LOVE... Halloween. The Nightmare Before Christmas, has been playing on repeat at my house this weekend, as I have been stitching and sewing up my handmade Halloween decor. 


I must admit that I am a fabric hoarder and have had this Ghastlie themed fabric by Alexander Henry in my stash for a year. I decided my entire house would be outfitted for Halloween, which meant new cushion covers for the living room - step in, the Ghastlies.



I pieced together two cushion covers with my favorite Ghastlie ladies. I only had half a yard each of the two different Ghastlie print fabrics, and had to put these covers together wisely so as not to waste any of the fabric. 




I began to piece together an impromptu log cabin panel with some of the Tula Pink Nightshade fabric. Also in my fabric stash for at least a year. I had thought this block would be good as a cushion cover, as well, but as I was finishing this block, one of my bestest friends told me I should make a quilt instead. I still have two other variations of this block to make, so a Halloween quilt might happen... maybe...





I still have lots of Halloween stitching and sewing to finish, but it's all in the works and I can't wait to outfit the house for Halloween.


Halloween aside, I finished off the mini-quilt from Wild Olive's Summer Stitching Club. 


It was pretty good timing, too, because I joined Mollie over at Wild Olive, for another round of fun and fantastic stitching by signing up for her Autumn Stitching Club


Leave it to me to have a variety of projects going on at once, but I love it, nonetheless. 

Do you love Halloween as much as I do??

Until next time!

xo,
K

5 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Yes we love Halloween! Great cushions, adore the mini and all your beautiful stitching! Maybe you could link something up for the theme at le challenge next month?! X

Nif said...

As I first started reading I thought t myself how awesome the Tula Pink Nightshade fabric would be. And then, poof! I read on and there you had it! LOVE!!

I have a bunch from last year as well, still waiting for a project. Tis the season, I love Autumn!!

Laura Tieri said...

Halloween is my favorite too! I can't believe it's almost here!
The vintage witch is so cute!
You went with the red trim, looks good.
Those prints are too cool! I love Edward Gorey!
I just got back from a week in Colorado. Now I'm trying to catch up with everybody on here!

senorita-amandita said...

Oh, my gosh! You are a busy bee! I have missed you!

Jennifer said...

I just love seeing every twist each person takes on Halloween! From the traditional spooky, to the gory, to the colourful, and sweet! I see you're a colourful and sweet gal, quite like myself! That fabric is so beautiful and cute cute cute!