Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Stitched Swans

When I was a girl, my grandmother would always tell me a bedtime story about seven swans. I don't remember the details anymore, but I can still feel that comforting sound of her voice as I dozed off.


I think her story might be the reason why I always loved swans. I find them so beautiful. 


I think my love of swans had something to do with the Ugly Duckling, as well. That poor baby swan always broke my heart. I wish I could have had him over for tea to help him feel better.


I sketched and stitched these swans onto brooches and pendants as a way to commemorate my grandmother's swan story. 


Now if only I could remember the details of the story. I'll have to ask my sister if she remembers. 

Please stop by my shop if you would like to pick up a brooch or pendant. 


7 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Beautiful! You'll have to tell us the story when you find out!

Liz said...

Wow, very nice! And I love the lace necklace!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Basically, in a small nutshell, the swans (I think there were 6 brothers and a sister) were brothers and a witch turned them into swans, but by a certain time frame, if the little sister didn't find a way to break the curse they would stay swans.

Sooooo, she had to knit a blanket out of thorns and things that cut her up, and cover the swans with the blanket, so they would turn back into boys.

I think :)

I mean, that is what she (gran) told me :) in more detail of course. But she could have changed it all around, knowing her ;)

Her imagery was so great, I can see the story in my mind.

Here is the real tale....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Swans

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Basically, in a small nutshell, the swans (I think there were 6 brothers and a sister) were brothers and a witch turned them into swans, but by a certain time frame, if the little sister didn't find a way to break the curse they would stay swans.

Sooooo, she had to knit a blanket out of thorns and things that cut her up, and cover the swans with the blanket, so they would turn back into boys.

I think :)

I mean, that is what she (gran) told me :) in more detail of course. But she could have changed it all around, knowing her ;)

Her imagery was so great, I can see the story in my mind.

Here is the real tale....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Swans

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These are so pretty. I love swans! Off to see your shop now! Hugs!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So pretty.

A Magical Whimsy said...

I remember the telling of the seven swans story too. I have always loved swans and married a man with the last name having to do with Swans!
I love your embroidery!
XO
Teresa in California