Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pillowcases for Summer

I know it might not be summer in some places, but the heat has definitely arrived in Tucson. I love the heat and the sunshine, but I also love the feel of cool linens and sheets against the skin after spending a day of fun in the sun. 


I am a fabric hoarder... er... collector... I have been holding on to some fabric that I knew would be good for summertime projects, I just hadn't figured out what to make yet. I found the cherry print fabric on one of my daily stops at the fabric store (it's on my way home from work) and the hedgehog fabric is from Ikea - I took everything the store had. There's a great fabric-by-the-pound store in Tucson that had oversized rid-rac for sale. The gingham was gifted to me in a 5-yard bundle. I have used almost all of it up on other projects, but I had just enough for this. 


With all these supplies in mind, I cruised Pinterest for some sewing projects. I found this great vintage-style pillowcase tutorial and decided to try it out. It's a great tute and I whipped up two pillowcases very quickly. 


The way this pillowcase is finished is probably one of my favorite things about it. I love when sewing projects look just as good on the reverse side as they do on the outside. 


I ended up making two cherry & gingham pillowcases. I am fairly certain I am going to be making more with the hedgehog print fabric. I just didn't get to it today. 


This fabric got so soft after the first washing, so I know it's going to get better and softer with more use. I can't wait!


Do you have any summer projects in the works?

5 comments:

Liz said...

Love the fabrics! So sweet!

Laura said...

Those are so cute! I really, really have to learn to sew! :-)
My summer project of the moment is packing up everything I own for a move and then getting settled in my new place. Have a great day!
blessings
~*~

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So adorable! You did a beautiful job! xoxo

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Such cute fabrics!! The pillowcases are utterly adorable! Love the vintage vibe and sweet ric rac :)

Jennifer said...

So in love with that cherry fabric!