Monday, December 8, 2014

Snippets from the Sewing Table: Christmas

I have been stitching and sewing Christmas-themed pieces here and there. It's sort of funny, because I have to bargain with myself - I can only sew or embroider if I finish XYZ. This time of year, I can only sew or embroider if I finish grading, preparing final exams, or finish a chapter of my dissertation. Everything is a work in progress, though, no matter if its on the sewing table or my writing desk - slowly but surely, it's all getting done.


I used up some Christmas fabric scraps for this trivet, made using a pattern from Ayumi Takahashi's, Patchwork Please, book. I think it's going to be a great mug rug, as well. 


I am using up some left over pieces of an Aspen Frost charm pack to create a larger table runner/centerpiece, perhaps an oversized mug rug might be more appropriate. It's been fairly cold in Tucson, so the whole "Baby, it's cold outside," theme seemed like a good idea to run with.


I found this darling mouse embroidery pattern via Feeling Stitchy. It's teeny (fits in a 3-inch hoop), and I love it! My plan is for it to become the front panel of a small pillow. 



I had some leftover fabric from a charm pack I bought last year from the Aspen Frost line from Moda Fabrics, and they made perfect mug rugs. I didn't get too elaborate or technical with them, just some simple HST's with a couple of the squares from the charm pack.




Here's the back of these two mug rugs. 


Aside from sewing, I have been embroidering, as well. I adore Aneela Hoey's, Little Stitches, book. She has such great patterns that are appropriate for the holiday season. I had to stitch up this clothesline pattern - it will become a zippered pouch. Aren't clotheslines just darling?




None of these projects would be complete without a Christmas-themed sewing pouch. I found the pattern and tutorial here. I didn't pay attention to the printing scale that my computer was set at, so it is safe to say that my version of the case turned out about 20% smaller than if I had paid attention and printed it at full scale... Oopsies!



The details are what I love most, I think. I adore the little tabs... especially when there's a cute snowman smiling at me every time I go to unzip the sewing pouch.


There are all my WIP's, for now ;) What are you working on this holiday season??

6 comments:

Laura said...

They are all so great! Happy Holidays!
blessings
~*~

Jennifer said...

I just adore everything you create. You are so great at mixing fabrics and creating something unique. Love everything Christmassy!

Kerry A. said...

All your projects are adorable, I am seriously coveting all of the fabrics you used for that trivet! Your fabric choices are always right on. I've done a few holiday projects, right now I'm hoping to squeak out a new design for a felt ornament...hoping that it's not too ambitious (since I am the world's slowest crafter)!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

Thank you so much, Jenn!! I am so obsessed with collecting fabric!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

Thank you so much, Kerry! I am always trying to choose the right fabrics. I am glad you think they look good!

Kathy said...

Love all your projects! And that fabric with the vintage Santa? So cute!! Is it a vintage piece? And of course that clothesline is amazing! Love the movement is shows.