Saturday, February 28, 2015

Stitchalong Update & Some Sewing Projects

I feel that February went by in a blink. I thought I would have so many projects finished by now, and instead it seems I have more to do! That's okay, though. I love having sewing and embroidery projects on my list of things to complete.


Something I did finish, was the #stitchthrough2015 Stitch-along that Monika from Bits of Stitching and I partnered on. Her patterns (see previous post for links) are so darling and I loved adding some fun stitches to my version to create some varied texture.


On a different, yet related stitching note - I had some Valentine's-themed embroidery that I completed last year and hadn't done anything with. Of course, I am a bag lady, so this year, I turned them into a Valentine's Day tote. I didn't have a chance to share that tote until now, but I did get to use it for a whole week before the 14th of February.











I had a stash of Valentine's Day fabric that was perfect for this tote. I especially love the fabric I used for the reverse side of the tote, it has this whole sewing theme - "sew in love."



If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I have taken to sharing more there than I do here. It's only because I forget to take pictures with my camera and I use my iphone instead, and really, I forget to manage all my devices. I guess a bit of a new year's resolution for me is to make sure I take more photos with my camera so I can share more projects here.

That being said, I realized I hand't shared my version of the Box Car Tote by Green Bee Patterns. I fell completely in love with the size and shape of this tote. It fits everything I cart around with me - laptop, books, embroidery projects.


It's no secret that I am a huge Aneel Hoey fan, her fabric designs and embroidery patterns really tug at my heart strings. I came up with an idea to combine some embroidery patterns from her Little Stitches book with fabric from her Little Apples line. I hadn't decided on a bag pattern until I saw the Box Car Tote pattern, and it all just came together perfectly. 





Here is the finished bag. The front pocket panel has the embroidery on one side and the fabric on the other. I tried to create contrasting accents throughout the bag, by using three different fabrics styles from the Little Apples line.


The inside has a pocket that fits my laptop perfectly. 


The reverse side of the tote has a large pocket panel, as well. I absolutely adore the fabric and the embroidery. I have only used the bag once, which is ridiculous, I know. I just stare at it mostly. I'll start using it up eventually.

There are my stitched and sewn projects from February. What did you work on this month?

3 comments:

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

I love all your embroideries!! So beautiful! :)

Kathy said...

Love your work! Just adorable :)

Kerry A. said...

You're projects are always so cute - you really have a gift for choosing just the right fabrics! That Sew in Love fabric is making me swoon, by the way.

I am going to do one of these stitchalongs eventually - I get so much more done with a deadline (it's the chronic rule-follower in me).